Who doesn’t love pizza? Almost everyone around the world absolutely loves this delicious circular dough with toppings. It can be argued that it is the best thing the Italians gave the world! If we can, we’d serve it everywhere. But because walking around with pizza slices can get a little messy at parties, the world has come up with pizza’s little sibling, pizza roll appetisers!
These rolls have everything we love about pizza: the fluffy soft dough, the delicious tomato sauce, and any topping you can wish for. The one difference between pizza roll appetisers and pizza is that they are great on the go! You can eat as many as you want and easily serve them to guests at parties. Today, we’re going to give you the best ways to serve pizza roll appetisers at home or at a gathering!
The Origin and Evolution of Pizza Roll Appetisers
Pizza rolls, a culinary innovation born in the post-World War II era, epitomize the fusion of Italian and American cuisines with a nod to Asian influence. Invented in 1968 by entrepreneur Jeno Paulucci, they were a response to America’s growing appetite for convenience foods and Italian flavours.
Today, they are not just a quick snack option but a beloved feature at parties, a convenient meal for students, and a nostalgic item for many, reflecting the dynamic nature of American food preferences and the ongoing trend of blending different culinary traditions into something both novel and familiar. Pizza rolls, in essence, symbolize the adaptability and innovative spirit of American cuisine, continually evolving to meet the changing tastes and lifestyles of its consumers.
Why Pizza Roll Appetisers Are The Best?
We all know why pizza is the best, right? Well, all those great things that make pizza such a popular dish are applicable to pizza rolls and more! Pizza rolls don’t just taste amazing; they’re also easy to eat and serve and make great finger food for parties and children’s lunch boxes.
Pizza Rolls Are Easy to Eat and Serve
Pizza rolls are the perfect finger food. They are small, so you can just pick them up with your hands. No need for forks or knives! You can eat a pizza roll in one or two bites. At a party, this is perfection! People love that they don’t need to stop chatting just to eat. Plus, serving them is easy, too! Just put them on a nice plate and let everyone dig in. Pizza rolls make parties fun and stress-free for everyone!
Pizza Rolls Have Versatile Flavours and Fillings
Pizza rolls let you play with the taste. There’s no limit to the fillings and toppings you can use. You can stick to traditional flavours like pepperoni or cheese. Or, try out different tastes like ham and cheese or even a cheeseburger filling! The dough works well with all these options, too – you can change it up based on what you fancy. Pizza rolls are small, but bring big flavour bombs in each bite! They make your party food fun because everyone enjoys their own mix of savoury treats.
Pizza Rolls Are A Crowd-Pleasing Appetiser
Pizza rolls fill any party with joy. They make a great snack or appetiser that everyone loves. These easy-to-make bites have all the rich taste of pizza yet are small enough to enjoy in one bite! Kids and adults alike can’t get enough of these tasty treats. Made at home, pizza rolls have become an even bigger hit. Freshly baked pepperoni rolls made with egg roll wrappers beat store-bought ones hands-down! Serve them warm in the oven for your next gathering.
Trust me, they’ll be gone before you know it! Pizza rolls truly are the perfect finger food to satisfy your guests’ cravings.
Homemade Pizza Roll Appetisers Recipe
We know you can easily find various brands of ready-made pizza roll appetisers in the supermarket, but wouldn’t it be more fun to make them at home? Making pizza rolls at home is super easy and will give you the opportunity to create your own flavour combos and get as creative as you want!
We’re going to share with you our favourite pizza roll appetizer recipe below. Whether you buy your pizza dough ready from the store or decide to make your own dough from scratch, this recipe will turn out great!
Ingredients for Your Pizza Rolls
- Pizza Dough: 1 lb (store-bought or homemade)
- Marinara Sauce: 1 cup
- Mozzarella Cheese: 2 cups, shredded
- Pepperoni: 1 cup, sliced (optional)
- Vegetables: 1/2 cup, diced (bell peppers, onions, olives, etc.)
- Olive Oil: 2 tbsp
- Italian Seasoning: 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Flour: for dusting
Making Your Pizza Roll Appetisers
- Prepare the Dough: If using store-bought dough, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. For the homemade dough, follow our favourite basic pizza dough recipe.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll Out Dough: Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle about 1/2 cm thick on a floured surface.
- Add Toppings: Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top, followed by pepperoni slices and diced vegetables.
- Roll the Dough: Carefully roll the dough into a tight log, starting from the longer side. Ensure the seam is at the bottom, and the roll is even.
- Slice and Prepare Rolls: Cut the log into 2.5 cm thick slices. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching each other.
- Season and Oil: Mix olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Brush this mixture over the top of each roll.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Cool and Serve: Let the pizza rolls cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with extra marinara sauce for dipping.
Feel free to customise your pizza roll filings however you please. You can add sausages, chicken, beef, bacon, vegetables or a variation of cheese! When it comes to pizza rolls, the sky is the limit!
Storage and Reheating Instructions for Pizza Rolls
What happens if you somehow make too many pizza rolls? We’re definitely not throwing any away! Pizza rolls are easy to store thanks to their small size. However, you need to learn the ultimate way to store them so they stay fresh and full of flavour, just like the day you made them.
How to Store Your Leftovers
After enjoying your tasty pizza rolls, make sure to store the leftovers correctly. First, let them cool down completely. Then place them in an air-tight box or bag – this step helps keep them fresh for longer! For safe storage, pop them into your fridge.
They will stay fresh and great for up to seven days. If you want to save some for much later, try using your freezer instead! Just be sure that the bag is fit for freezing before you put it away there. Frozen pizza rolls can be stored for up to two months! You’ll have pizza rolls for a long time!
How to Reheat Your Leftovers
Now that you have stored your pizza roll appetisers in the refrigerator or the freezer, you’ll need to reheat them before you eat them. Reheating your pizza rolls is no big deal, but it also needs to be done right to keep that rich flavour intact.
- Oven or Toaster Oven (Recommended for Best Texture):
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Place the pizza rolls on a baking sheet.
- For refrigerated rolls: Heat for 8-10 minutes.
- For frozen rolls: Heat for 12-15 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
- Microwave (Quickest Method, but Less Crispy):
- Place the pizza rolls on a microwave-safe plate.
- For refrigerated rolls: Heat for 20-30 seconds.
- For frozen rolls: Heat for 1-2 minutes, checking at 30-second intervals.
- Air Fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 175°C (350°F).
- Place the rolls in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- For refrigerated rolls: Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- For frozen rolls: Cook for 5-7 minutes.
Delicious Dips and Accompaniments for Pizza Rolls
We have already come to the conclusion that pizza rolls rock! How about we make them even better? Dips are a great way to enhance your pizza rolls and give them even more flavour. There are also plenty of simple dishes you can make to accompany your pizza rolls that will make your meal even better.
Here are some of our recommendations for dips and side dishes that will take your pizza rolls to a whole other level of awesomeness!
Best Dips for Pizza Rolls
- Marinara Sauce: A classic choice, marinara sauce perfectly complements the pizza flavour. Its tangy and slightly sweet profile is ideal for dipping.
- Ranch Dressing: The creamy and herby taste of ranch dressing offers a cool contrast to the warm, cheesy rolls.
- Garlic Aioli: For a rich and flavorful option, garlic aioli brings a smooth texture and a punch of garlic that pairs well with any pizza roll filling.
- Buffalo Sauce: For those who enjoy a bit of heat, buffalo sauce adds a spicy kick that can liven up the pizza rolls.
- Pesto: A basil pesto dip, with its fresh and nutty flavours, offers a delightful herby twist.
- Alfredo Sauce: A creamy and cheesy Alfredo sauce can be a decadent dip, especially good with rolls filled with chicken or vegetables.
- Barbecue Sauce: For a sweet and smoky flavour, barbecue sauce is a unique dip that pairs surprisingly well with pizza rolls.
- Salad: A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing can balance the richness of the pizza rolls, making for a more rounded meal.
- Vegetable Platter: Raw or lightly steamed vegetables like carrots, celery, and bell peppers offer a crunchy, healthy side.
- Cheese Platter: A selection of cheeses, such as cheddar, gouda, or brie, can complement the cheesy flavour of the rolls.
- Fruit Skewers: For a sweet and refreshing side, fruit skewers with grapes, melon, and berries can be a delightful option.
- Olives and Pickles: A small bowl of olives or pickles can add a salty, briny contrast to the flavours of the pizza rolls.
- Breadsticks or Garlic Bread: Adding breadsticks or garlic bread can be a great choice if you’re going for a full-on Italian-inspired feast.
- Roasted Nuts: A bowl of roasted almonds or cashews can provide a satisfying crunch and a change of pace from the soft texture of the rolls.
- Soft Drinks: Classic choices like cola or lemon-lime soda are always a hit, especially in a casual setting.
- Beer: A light lager or pilsner can pair nicely with the savoury flavours of pizza rolls.
- Wine: For a more sophisticated pairing, a light red like Pinot Noir or a crisp white like Sauvignon Blanc can complement the dish well.
Experimenting with these dips, sides, and drinks can turn a simple serving of pizza rolls into a delightful and varied culinary experience, perfect for gatherings, parties, or a fun family meal.
In conclusion, pizza rolls make the perfect appetizer for any party or gathering. With their easy-to-eat size and versatile flavours, they are sure to please everyone. Plus, with the option to make them at home using simple ingredients, you can customize your pizza rolls to suit your tastes. So, next time you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing snack, give homemade pizza rolls a try!
How long do I need to cook pizza roll appetizers?
Pizza roll appetizers typically take around 12-15 minutes to cook in the oven until they are golden and crispy.
Can I microwave pizza rolls instead of baking them?
You can microwave store-bought pizza rolls if it says so on the packaging. Just follow the instructions, and your pizza roll will taste just as good as baked ones!
Are there any vegetarian options available for pizza roll appetizers?
Of course! When you make your own pizza rolls, you can decide what fillings to add. A variety of vegetables with a delicious base sauce will make your pizza rolls tasty and vegetarian-friendly.
Can I freeze leftover pizza rolls?
Yes, you can freeze leftover pizza rolls by placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. They can be reheated later in the oven or microwave.
What dipping sauces go well with pizza roll appetizers?
Common dipping sauces that pair well with pizza roll appetizers include marinara sauce, ranch dressing, garlic butter sauce, or barbecue sauce.