Cosy Mushroom Hug: Easy Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Looking for a delicious soup to warm up your taste buds on these chilly nights? Let’s talk about the super yummy classic—mushroom soup. But hold on, if you’re on the dairy-free train, don’t worry! We’ve got a super simple dairy-free cream of mushroom soup recipe for you to enjoy the creamy goodness without any dairy. So, let’s dive into a world of creamy goodness without giving up on your taste preferences!
Special Diet Notes
Our dairy-free cream of mushroom soup meets all your special diet needs. If you have a dairy allergy, this recipe is perfect for you! You’ll enjoy the rich taste without worrying about any dairy. We’ve got good news for those who can’t eat eggs due to an egg allergy. This recipe doesn’t use eggs at all.
Maybe peanuts make you itch and sneeze? No worries here as well! You’re safe since our soup can be made without them. Plus, our dish suits people who avoid gluten because of celiac disease or gluten intolerance. This recipe is entirely gluten-free!
And if you are vegan or just favour vegan-friendly dishes, cheer up! We only use plant-based ingredients for our soup—no animal products in sight. So, everyone with an allergen-free cooking approach will find our mushroom soup warming and tasty.
To make a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup, we’ll need:
- 2 cups of fresh mushrooms, sliced:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of dairy-free milk like unsweetened almond milk/ coconut milk
Quick Ingredient Tips
Here’s a bit of help for your dairy-free cream of mushroom soup.
- Use fresh mushrooms: Fresh mushrooms will give your soup a better flavour and texture than canned mushrooms. Choose a variety of mushrooms like shiitake, cremini, oyster, or good old button mushrooms for a more interesting flavour profile.
- Use a non-dairy milk alternative: Instead of cream or regular milk, use a non-dairy milk alternative like almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or oat milk. These milks will help create a creamy texture without using dairy.
- Use vegetable broth: To add depth of flavour to your soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken or beef broth. This will keep your soup vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- Add aromatics: Aromatics like onions, garlic, and thyme enhance the soup’s flavour. Sauté them with the mushrooms before adding the broth for an extra layer of flavour.
- Thicken your soup: To thicken your soup without using cream or flour, you can add potatoes or cashews. Simply blend them with the soup to create a creamy texture.
- Make sure you use olive oil for that extra richness and not butter to keep it vegan and plant-based.
- Pick ingredients with the ‘gluten-free’ label if you want your soup without gluten.
- Salt is also a must-have because it helps bring out other tastes.
- Make your dish in less time by preparing all your stuff before you start cooking.
By following these ingredient tips, you can create a delicious and satisfying dairy-free cream of mushroom soup that is both flavourful and healthy.
How to Make a Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Here’s how to make a tasty dairy-free cream of mushroom soup:
- Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a big pot.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic cloves to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent, soft, and smelling fantastic—that’s your aromatic base.
- Toss in your sliced mushrooms and sauté them until they are golden brown and tender.
- Next, sprinkle all-purpose or white rice flour over the vegetable mix and stir to coat. This will help thicken your soup.
- Pour in the vegetable broth.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Let everything simmer together, creating a flavour explosion.
- Slowly pour in your dairy-free vegetable broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add the salt, black pepper, thyme, and a couple of bay leaves for that herby touch.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Time to make things creamy! Pour that unsweetened, plain, non-dairy milk into the pot and let it mix and mingle with the mushrooms. It’s the secret to the dairy-free creaminess.
- Blend, blend, blend. Grab your trusty blender and give everything a good blend. We want a smooth and velvety texture that makes every spoonful heavenly.
- Let it simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes until it is warmed through and the soup is thick and creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve hot and enjoy your creamy dairy-free cream of mushroom soup!
Benefits of Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Dairy-free cream of mushroom soup can offer a range of benefits to those who consume it. Here are some of them:
- Low in fat and calories: Since this soup contains no dairy products, it is naturally low in fat and calories. This makes it an excellent option for those looking to lose some calories or maintain a healthy diet. There aren’t any hidden extras—like preservatives—that come with canned soups.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Mushroom soup is rich with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, potassium, and selenium. These nutrients can help to boost your immune system, support healthy bones, and improve overall health.
- Good for digestion: Mushrooms are packed with dietary fibre which are essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fibre can help to regulate bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- May help to reduce inflammation: Some studies suggest that mushrooms may have anti-inflammatory properties. This means that consuming mushroom soup could help reduce inflammation, which is a preliminary factor to a range of health conditions.
- Allergen-free: This soup is an excellent option for food without dairy due to allergies or diet choices. The soup gets its rich, creamy feel from special foods like cauliflower and cashews. These are safe for most people with allergies.
- Delicious and satisfying: Finally, one of the best benefits of dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is simply how delicious and satisfying it can be! Even though it has no dairy, this soup still tastes great! This classic soup will surely be a crowd-pleaser with its rich, earthy flavour and creamy texture.
Dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is a thick and hearty soup you can serve in many ways. Here are some ideas:
- Enjoy it plainly: This dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is full of flavour on its own.
- Add crusty bread: A piece of warm, crusty bread can be used for dipping.
- Serve with salad: A fresh salad makes a good match with this creamy soup.
- Use as a base: You can use the soup as a vegan substitute in any recipe that calls for cream.
- Pair with crackers: Crackers add a nice crunch to each sip.
- Toss Pasta: Blend the soup nicely and toss it over pasta for a creamy cashew mushroom pasta.
If you’ve made a delicious dairy-free cream of mushroom soup and you’re wondering about the best ways to store it, here are a few hacks! Firstly, you can keep it in a glass mason jar or an airtight container. The soup can stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you need to store it longer, the best option is to freeze it! The soup will remain good in the freezer for up to six months. Always keep leftovers in an airtight container and put them in the fridge.
The thickness of your soup might change a bit, but there’s nothing to worry about because it’s normal. To get your soup back to hot and tasty, just heat it over low heat with some water. Lastly, you can make this soup ahead of time and keep it cold in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy it.
More Easy Mushroom Recipes
There are so many delicious recipes you can make with mushrooms. Here are some more easy mushroom recipes for you to try:
- Mushroom Risotto: This creamy and flavourful dish is perfect for a comforting dinner.
- Stuffed Mushrooms: Fill your mushrooms with a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic, and cheese for a tasty appetiser.
- Mushroom Stir-Fry: Sauté your mushrooms with some veggies and soy sauce for a healthy and quick side.
- Mushroom Pizza: Top your pizza dough with sautéed mushrooms, cheese, and your favourite toppings for a yummy homemade pizza.
- Mushroom Pasta: Toss cooked pasta with sautéed mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, and fresh herbs for a simple yet satisfying meal.
- Mushroom Omelette: Add sautéed mushrooms to your fluffy omelette for a filling breakfast or brunch option.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms: Marinate large portobello mushroom caps in balsamic vinegar and grill them for a delicious meaty vegetarian option.
- Mushroom Tacos: Sauté sliced mushrooms with onions and spices, then serve in warm tortillas topped with salsa and avocado for a flavourful taco night.
And there you have it— an easy and delicious recipe for dairy-free cream of mushroom soup! It’s cosy and perfect for everyone, regardless of your dietary restrictions or preferences. Whether you’re vegan, lactose-intolerant, or simply looking to cut out dairy, this recipe provides a creamy and flavourful twist to the classic mushroom soup. So, get ready to slurp some warmth and flavour with our cosy mushroom hug of soup. Enjoy!
1. Can I make a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup without using animal products?
Yes, you can make a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup by substituting dairy milk with plant-based milk such as coconut or unsweetened almond milk and using vegetable oil instead of butter.
2. What are other alternatives to heavy cream in a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup?
Some alternatives to heavy cream in a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup include coconut cream, cashew cream, or soy-based products like soy yoghurt or tofu.
3. How do I thicken a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup without using flour?
To thicken a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup without flour, use arrowroot powder or cornstarch mixed with water as a thickening agent. Add the mixture slowly while stirring until the desired thickness is achieved.
4. Are there any vegan toppings that go well with a dairy-free creamy mushroom soup?
Some vegan toppings that go well with a dairy-free creamy mushroom soup include chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives, toasted nuts like almonds or pine nuts, or crispy fried onions for added texture and flavour.