As the Seasons change, we find ourselves craving heat. With this soothing Hot Mulled Cider recipe, you’ll find your bones warm & your heart full.
- 1/2 gallon of fresh, unfiltered apple cider (non-alcoholic)
- 1 orange
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 3-inch sticks of cinnamon
- 15 allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
- 7 pods of cardamom
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- Simmer apple cider with orange and spices: Pour apple cider into a 3-quart saucepan, cover, turn the heat on medium-high.
While cider is heating up, take a vegetable peeler and peel away a couple thick strips of peel from the orange. Press about half of the cloves into the peeled part of the orange. (You can also just quarter the orange and add the slices and cloves separately. I just like seeing the orange bob up and down). Place orange, orange peel strips, the remaining cloves, and the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan with the cider. Keep covered and heat the mulled cider mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Strain out the orange and spices: Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the hot mulled cider away from the orange, cloves, and other spices.
If you want, you can add a touch of bourbon, brandy, or rum to spike it up a bit.Serve hot. Add a cinnamon stick to each cup if desired.
Top with whipped cream if desired.